Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tuesday Top 5: Eyeliner

Today I'd like to introduce a brand new feature here at Daddy Likey: The Tuesday Top 5. Each week this blessed day will bring a Top 5 list to inform and entertain, such as "Top 5 Cute Shoes That Would Probably Give You Epic Blisters" or "Top 5 Cheap Purses That Look Expensive" or "Top 5 Reasons This Blouse Reminds Me of My 5th Grade Music Teacher, Mr. Nagy."

The topic of today's list, however, is quite simple:

Top 5 Best Eyeliners Ever


Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil, $17
These babies are my absolute favorite because they meet the three most critical eyeliner criteria: they're creamy, waterproof, and, the color choices are totally badass. I wear a nice heavy dose of the "Deviant" shade--a bright, sparkly teal--a few times a week, and I think I owe the vast majority of my friendships to women coming up to me and saying, "Cool eyeliner!" and then me being like, "Thanks! Want to be friends?"

MAC Crayon Kohl in "Smolder," $14.50
If we're talking classic black liner, nobody beats MAC. This stuff goes on smooth and dark enough to help create the perfect smoky eye and/or Pete Wentz Halloween costume.

Jane Cosmetics Be Pure Mineral One Liner, $3.49
One night a few weeks ago, I was sort of depressed, so I went to Walgreens and bought a cheap navy blue eyeliner pencil. I also bought a peanut butter Twix and box of thumbtacks shaped like ladybugs, but it was the eyeliner that turned out to be a pleasant surprise. For less than $5, these self-sharpening pencils deliver great color that lasts for most of the day. (One caveat: while the "smudger" on the end seems like a cool idea, in reality it is more of an "eye poker.")

Stila Smudge Pot, $20
Sure, this requires the use of a brush, and sure, it costs more than a timeshare in Puerto Vallarta, but seriously, it's awesome.

Wet n' Wild Eyeliner Pencil, 99¢
Despite the fact that these have aided and abetted thousands--perhaps millions!--of garish middle school makeup routines, I'm still a fan. The long pencils last forever, come in many shades, and they're so cheap you could buy one every day and still have money left over for the necessities (like a peanut butter Twix and a box of thumbtacks shaped like ladybugs).

If you noticed that my list includes expensive eyeliners, supercheap liners, and not much in between, you would be correct--I just haven't had much luck with mid-range brands. How about you? And no matter the price point, would you dare to share your faves?