Monday, February 22, 2010

The Problem With the Ponytail

One of my goals for this year is to learn how to do my hair. Like, literally, I wrote "Learn how to do my hair" next to "Run a half marathon," "Travel the world," "Perfect cold fusion," and "Achieve enlightenment" on my 2010 goal list.

I've always been fantastically bad at doing my hair, and even worse at doing other people's. In middle school, my friends would often ban me from the obligatory makeover portion of slumber parties, forcing me to stand in the kitchen and make awkward conversation with their parents instead ("So, that's a nice lamp. Umm, where did you get it?").

Today my specialty styles include the basic ponytail, the top of the head rat nest, and the sleep-on-my-wet-hair-and-hope-for-the-best. It's a sad state of affairs up there. Thank god it's usually out of sight for me.

So, here are a few hairdos that I'm aiming to try in between all the traveling, getting in shape, and intensive physics experiments this year will surely bring:

The messy Parisienne bun. This one looks doable, right?

The "half-up half-down," a style that, apparently, dudes love.

The patented Sarah Von Bargen Faux Mo. Badass.

And finally, the low side knot...thing. So pretty.

How about you guys? Do you wear your hair the same way everyday, or do you love trying different 'dos? Do you have any tips for cute, easy hairstyles? Or cold fusion?