Thursday, August 27, 2009

Five Men's Fashion First Impressions: I'm Sick and They're Chatty Edition

I'm still feeling sickly, but what better excuse to do a Five Men post, right? For anyone new to Daddy Likey, Five Men's Fashion First Impressions is a recurring feature in which I show an odd, complex, or avant-garde fashion item to the five prominent guys in my life (3 brothers, dad, and boyfriend) and solicit their snap judgments. Here's the first Five Men post ever written, if you want to check it out, and here's the photo I showed them today:


Let's see what they had to say:

Brother, age 22: One time this guy in my class showed everyone pictures of him and his girlfriend having sex in a similar contraption. It's just nightmarish and awful. That's all.

Boyfriend: (Laughs giddily) I'm really confused. Is this for a stage performance or is this fashion?
Me: Well, it's runway, so both.
Boyfriend: So they ran out of time to finish the runway and just attached the lights to her dress?

(14-year-old brother walks in carrying a metal detector)
Me: First of all, why are you carrying a metal detector?
Brother, age 14: I was searching for the magazine for an AR-15 rifle.
Me: OK. Well, what do you think of this picture?
Brother, age 14: It's like something at a doctor's office that they stretch skin out with. Does it have its own lighting rig? Jealous!

Brother, age 19: Clive Barker dabbles in fashion design.

Father: It looks like a joke from Fritz Lang's Metropolis.
Me: Oh! I think I saw that in my film studies class. Is that the one with the famous scene of a baby carriage rolling down the stairs for, like, 20 minutes?
Father: I don't think so. Why was a baby carriage rolling down the stairs?
Me: Nazis, I think. Or bad baby carriage brakes. Or symbolism. Or something.
Father: Metropolis is the one where mad scientists create a simulacrum of a female factory worker.
Me: Oh, I must have skipped class that day.

After a little research I realized I was confusing Metropolis with The Battleship Potemkin--I'm such a silly goose! And in other news, thanks so much to Kayla for submitting that awesome photo. If you have a fashion find worthy of the Five Men, please feel free to send it along: daddylikeyblog@gmail.com