Sunday, November 15, 2009

Awesome Affordable Etsy Find of the Week: Not Santa Cat

Let me throw down some heavy truth for you right now: I own a Christmas sweater.

Not just a regular Christmas sweater, either, but a Christmas sweater with pom poms, bell sleeves, a rickrack neckline and a large embroidered image of a smiling cat wearing a Santa hat. And I bought this sweater in 1998, before hipsters existed, before irony was a style, before the inception of the "ugly sweater party" (fashion historians generally agree that the first of these celebrations occurred circa 2002).

I bought this sweater because I couldn't get over the cuteness and hilarity of a smiling Santa Cat. I bought it completely earnestly and with the spirit of Christmas in my heart.

But you know what? If I were to take the advice/threats/bribes of those I love and set the Santa Cat sweater aside (or on fire, maybe) to make a more subtle holiday fashion statement, I'd totally wear something like these pretty holiday earrings:

They don't scream holiday cheer like a Santa Cat sweater does, but they do politely suggest it, and wouldn't they pair beautifully with a simple black dress to make the holiday party rounds? I might have to get myself a pair. With permission from Santa Cat, of course.

P.S. Thanks so much to Katrina for the tip about fabulous Etsy shop City Noise Vintage!

UPDATED to respond to demands for a Santa Cat photo: First of all, you guys crack me up. Second of all, are my words not worth a thousand pictures, or something like that? Third of all, fine, I'll try my best to dig it out of my Christmas decor boxes and post some photo evidence for ya.