Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Tuesday Top 5: Grown-Up Hair Accessory Challenge

Dear Daddy Likey,

I recently cut my hair very short, and I like wearing clips and headbands in it (because it's fun and also so people know I'm not a boy). Here's the problem -- most of what's out there for "hair fancies" can be a little juvenile. This is not to say I don't love a good bow or flower because, believe me, I do, and I've got plenty. But now I'm looking for some accessories that look a little more grown up, shall we say. (I'm 28.) Any suggestions?

Signed,
Sheared and Alone

Dear Sheared,

While I may be the exact wrong person to ask, because 1. I buy most of my hair accessories in the baby shower section at The Dollar Tree, and 2. My last post on hair accessories included a clip made to look like a swarm of butterflies has landed on your head, I'm happy to give it my best shot:

Top 5 Hair Accessories That Won't Get You Sent Home From Work for Breaking Child Labor Laws

So elegant, right? Plus it's from Banana Republic, which is a store for Responsible Grown-Ups.

Studded. Badass. Cheap. Those are three awesome adjectives.

These bobby pins resemble the kind of fine china that many people keep hidden away in a kitchen cabinet. Why not wear it in your hair instead?

Yes, this is technically a bow headband, but the messiness and muted color palette make it much more chic and adult than your run-of-the-mill infant head wrap.

This vintage barrette is tiny--just one inch--so it won't overwhelm even the shortest, sprightliest haircuts.

Readers--feel free to weigh in on your favorite responsible, mature hair accessory choices! Have you found any pieces that strike the right balance of playful and grown-up? Or are you loyal to your giant pink sequined bow headband?