Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tuesday Top 5!

T-shirts That Make Me Want to Wear T-shirts Again

In high school I was really into t-shirts. I was into t-shirts with the same fervor that many of my classmates were into vodka or tractor demolition derbies or both at the same time (Banks, Oregon: Where we get drunk and crash our tractors for fun!). I went to Goodwill at least once a week in search of vintage t-shirts, preferably ones with cool graphics or random slogans. My favorites included a "Hugs Not Drugs" gem and a sweet Ramones concert tee.

In college, I started trying to dress like Carrie Bradshaw, and Carrie Bradshaw rarely wore t-shirts. Then the hipster trend really took hold, and everyone on earth suddenly had their very own vintage "Hugs Not Drugs" t-shirt. In addition, I was beginning to realize that t-shirts weren't all that flattering on my large bust, so I packed away part of my t-shirt collection, sent the other part off to Goodwill (for the hipsters, of course), and forged ahead toward a new wardrobe that included tunics, blazers, cardigans, tank tops, minidresses--and very few t-shirts.

Recently, my friend Vivian returned from Korea, arguably the graphic t-shirt capital of the world, and brought me an amazing teal tee with "I DO ART" written down the front in big block letters. It was so cute and comfy and versatile that my t-shirt love was suddenly rekindled, and now I'm yearning to restock my closet with these:

Don't Give Up Tee, $22
I came across this great graphic tee on Frolic awhile back, and it's been stuck in my head ever since. I always tell friends that if you find yourself dreaming about an article of clothing, you should buy it. So it might be time for me to shell out for this one.

Flattering v-neck, gorgeous shade of purple, giant blue feathers. Just awesome.

Green Tuffet Scoopneck T-Shirt, $26
I love this color and the way the blades of grass form a necklace shape, plus the scoopneck would look lovely on ladies with bigger busts.

I actually bought this t-shirt at the Human Rights Campaign store in San Francisco, and I absolutely adore it. It's super soft, has a worn-in look, and although I would happily wear a moldy pickle barrel to support gay rights, this shirt combines a great message with a great style.

Bow Tunic Tee, $26.50
OMG. How cute would this be with a swingy little black skirt, black lace tights, and flats? Or skinny jeans and boots? Or a pencil skirt and heels and a sweater coat? Or, like, anything?

Are you a t-shirt fan or anti-tee? Please feel free to post links to your favorites--I'm always on the lookout for new ones!