Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tuesday Top 5: Hot Hosiery For Chilly Mornings

My boyfriend Nick is awesome in many ways. He loves to cuddle and he makes chocolate molten lava cakes for my friends when they're sad and he kind of looks like Mark Ruffalo and he says funny things like this. But when the weather turns cold, Nick transforms from a cuddly adorable funny pastry chef into a curmudgeonly middle-class father of six whose one goal in life is to make sure I don't turn the heater on.

Chilly fall and winter mornings consistently find me shuffling toward the thermostat, my extremities in the early stages of frostbite, and as I reach my shaky blue hand toward the dial, Nick pleads from the other room, "Can't you just put on a sweater?"

Nick and I had our first heater-related argument yesterday, which means autumn has officially begun. But you know what else that means? It's tights weather! And nothing warms my cold toes and heart faster than some fabulous hosiery.

I've actually never worn thigh-high stockings before, mostly because I'm worried they would give my thighs the appearance of a half-popped can of Pillsbury crescent rolls, but my friend Sara swears they're really flattering and wow do I love those bows.

These have been much hyped on the blogosphere in recent months, but here's the thing: they are teal and have a peacock feather on them. WORTH THE HYPE.

Super Basics Cotton Socks, $10
A liiiiiiitle boring, yes, but I'd layer these babies over some pink tights and tuck 'em into a pair of beat-up brown boots. Perfect. (And so cozy!)

I love that these tights could either be a subtle addition to a great outfit or the focal point, depending on how you style them. Just gorgeous.