Wednesday, June 30, 2010

LashBlast vs. DiorShow: Mascara Showdown

I've mentioned before (here and here)that I love DiorShow mascara . I love the volumizing formula, the rosewater fragrance, the pretty tube, the giant brush. What I don't love is the exorbitant price. For $24 I could buy a one-way plane ticket to Boise, Idaho. Or a round of antibiotics. Or a ham.

MAC Fibre Riche is usually my favorite affordable alternative (it's about 10 bucks), but lately my trusty backup seemed flaky and unenthusiastic, which are two of my least favorite qualities in people and mascara. It was time to try something new.

On a recent trip to Walgreens, I noticed Covergirl LashBlast was on sale for 5 bucks, so I decided to try it out. Here's my review, in an awkward sentence fragment format:

Looks: like a sex toy. The tube is large. And orange. I will probably hide it when my grandma comes over.

Feels: great. My lashes stay soft and full throughout the day.

Smells: OK, I guess. A little chemical-y, sure, but for $20 less per tube than the lovely rosewater-scented DiorShow, I'm not going to complain.

Tastes: like chicken. JK, you guys, I didn't taste it (yet). But wouldn't that be upsetting if it actually tasted like chicken?

Goes on: thick. It's easy to overdo it, but just one coat adds a ton of volume and definition.

Here I am in one coat of LashBlast plus a shmidge of eyeliner:


Verdict: For 5 bucks, my lashes are happy and I'm happy and as soon as I hide the tube my grandma will be happy.

Now I'm off to buy a ham.