Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Top 5 Neon Pink Sneakers for the "Neon Pink Sneakers Girl"

My sophomore year of college I was really into Converse sneakers. I wanted to be known as "Converse Girl" so I wore my pink high tops and purple tie-dye low tops every day and said things like, "Look everybody! I'm wearing my Converse again. Might as well call me Converse Girl!" really loud and often. I was well on my way to mediocre fame and maybe a sponsorship when my foot started to hurt. I went to the doctor, he did an x-ray, and said, "Your foot is broken."

"Umm, how did I break my foot without noticing?"

He frowned at my beloved Converse sitting at the corner. "Do you ever wear different shoes?"

"No," I said. "I'm kind of known as the Converse Girl."

He explained that the lack of support from my beat-up sneakers combined with constant walking and my habit of excitable jumping had given me a stress fracture.

I stormed out of his office with a walking cast, later switched to even less supportive ballet flats to spite him, and I haven't really worn sneakers since.

Cut to the other day at Starbucks: I saw a girl waiting in line wearing the most amazing neon pink Keds. I gasped and said to my friend, "Look at the neon pink Keds girl!" and I felt a pang of jealousy and nostalgia in my heart. My obsession had returned.

Here are a few of my favorite options a frantic search for "neon pink sneakers" turned up: