Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Black Holes and Broken Sunglasses

This weekend my top favorite sunglasses broke.

They broke while I was drumming, which could have made for a really cool story, like maybe I had just finished a perfect rendition of "Knights of Cydonia" by Muse and did a massive headbang to celebrate and my sunglasses flew off and hit Dom Howard (the drummer from Muse) in the chest because he happened to be standing in the doorway and then he started a slow clap and said "You're bloody talented" and when I jumped up to hug him I stepped on my sunglasses and they broke and Dom was like, "Don't worry about it, I'll buy you some new ones IN LONDON because you are going to come on tour with us and fill in for me whenever I need a wee nap. Cheers!"

In reality I was sitting completely still while my little brother (who is a way better drummer than I am) tried to explain to me the concept of a paradiddle, and my $12 sunglasses just fell off my head onto the floor and broke. And I seriously almost cried.

I was able to find a replacement pair (in blue plaid) on ebay the same night for less than 10 bucks, which was awesome, but in my state of grief I also bought two other vintage pairs from Etsy and saved about a thousand more in my favorites folder, including these:


Now I'm sort of hoping someone else buys these before I do, because I need to stop spending all my money on sunglasses, and I'll need to pack light when I go on tour.

p.s. I just bought tickets to see Muse in Minneapolis in October. Might need to buy a new pair of sunglasses to celebrate.