Friday, March 12, 2010

The World Inside Your Shoes

The first thing I thought when I saw these amazing light-up heels by Nicholas Kirkwood for Rodarte was "AWESOME!"

The second thing I thought was, "It looks like there are little galaxies trapped in the heels! I will write a story about this in the style of Dr. Seuss."

And here we are:

The Little World Inside Your Shoes

A philosophical question:
Tell me, what would you do
if you found a little world
in the heel of your shoe?

Say you're dressed to the nines
roaming New York's mean streets
thinking, "Where is Scott Schuman?
these shoes hurt my feets!"

But that tingle you're feeling?
It's not bunion nor blister,
it's swirling stars, tiny planets--
are you getting this, sister?

Look just under your sole,
see the galaxy's glow.
It's beautiful, wondrous,
a bit frightening, no?

So what do you do now?
Kick your shoes off and run?
Call in NASA, or the airforce,
Will Smith and his gun?

Maybe you pick up your shoe
and the world that's inside,
stare at it intently,
whisper, "Who's there? Don't hide."

Does the thought cross your mind
that your find might reveal
we all live in a small world
inside a big heel?

***

p.s. Thanks so much to D'Et for directing me to these amazing shoes!