Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Tall Order: Where to Buy Women's Shoes in Size 10 & Up

My friend Katelyn is tall. I am short. Usually this is not a significant issue in our relationship. I mean, yeah, she has to crouch a bit for photos and I have to be vigilant about dandruff, but otherwise, everything's cool.

OK, I lied. Shoe shopping together isn't cool. Shoe shopping is a significant issue.

You see, I have a pretty generic size 7 foot, so it's easy for me to find cute, comfy shoes in a variety of styles and prices. Unlike, say, dress shopping, which makes me feel like a bloated mutant, shoe shopping is a joyous and stress-free activity for me.

Ask Katelyn to describe shoe shopping, and she will not use words like "joyous" and "stress-free." She will tell you harrowing tales of heartbreak and horror. She will describe wandering into the rickety aisles of the "10 and over" shoe sizes, cold and dark like ghost towns, inhabited only by the occasional tumbleweed and a few mismatched orthopedic clogs.

The few times we've gone shoe shopping together, I've gallivanted through the store, insensitively singing out, "Ooohhh look at those! And those! And these! Well, I have to buy these! How can I not? Aren't they cute? Should I get two pairs of each? There are too many choices!" while Katelyn sighs and asks if it's too early to have a drink.

I promised my dear friend that I would look into online stores that stock cute women's shoes in larger sizes, and although the expedition was tough (I ran into a lot of those orthopedic clogs, and god knows they're unpredictable in the wild), I came back with these five favorites:

Barefoot Tess
This awesome site's slogan is "Because style doesn't stop at size 10," and their designer shoes and boots in sizes 10-15 are certainly stylish. Prices are a little on the spendy side, but they seem to have sales going all the time and there are good buys to be had.

Dolce Vita boots, sizes 11-13, $99.

I just adore this site and sort of want to buy their entire collection. How can I not? Aren't they cute? Should I get two pairs of each? JK, Katelyn--now you get to say that!


Endless
With over 2,000 shoes in size 14, and hundreds more in sizes up to 16, this is a great resource. I'm loving these ombre peeptoe pumps:


Shoes Got Sole
Yes, you have to sort through quite a few shoes that look like this, which is really upsetting, but I swear the search is worth it. I unearthed these babies within a minute or two:


Zappos
Epic selection. Free shipping. Awesome.


What about you guys? Do you have small feet, big feet, wide feet, narrow feet? Do you have any tips for finding cute, larger size women's shoes? I'd love to hear from you!

p.s. Companion post about shopping for small shoe sizes coming soon, so feel free to comment with those tips as well!