Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Edible Inspirations

I love food. I love fashion. Here are the top 5 foods that inspire my sense of style, for one reason or another:

1. Iced Caramel Macchiatos

One of my favorite Starbucks drinks, the ICM's deliciousness is almost overshadowed by its aesthetic appeal: I can barely glance at one without getting the urge to drape myself in a similar color scheme of flowy white skirt and cozy brown cardigan.

2. Shiny apples

While the produce section is full of beautiful colors and textures, there's something about the beautiful variety of apples that seem especially trendy right now: Bright, saturated reds and yellows with a high shine finish? Yes please. In related news, I want these shoes:


3. Marble Rye

Marble Rye makes me want to go get a Ruben at Kenny & Zuke's, watch Seinfeld, and put on a psychadelic print skirt. Marble Rye is basically my life coach.

4. Meringue

The sumptuous texture of meringue is hard to beat. For eating or for wearing.

Does this look like a death cake to you?

5. Guacamole

I am incapable of making or eating guacamole without getting it all over my clothes. Perhaps this is a sign of simple clumsiness, or perhaps it's a subtle message from the universe to bring more bright green into my wardrobe. Let's go with the latter.

What unexpected places inspire your fashion sense? The zoo? The library? Fabric shops? Dog shows? Civil war reenactments? Janitorial supply stores? I'd love to know your style secrets!